Then I move on to spreading the fiber out to get to know it:
- Does it need a bit more skirting? The dogs love this part!
- How much VM? Any burrs? Any poo?
- How about second cuts? Shake the fleece around a bit to get those to fall through the skirting table.
- Scan for metal…yes, I have a metal detector and I’m not afraid to use it! Actually the hubby uses it when reclaiming lumber. Metal bits will damage equipment, whether it’s for wool or wood!
- What does it feel like? Dry? Damp? Musty? Fresh? Been around awhile? Coarse, medium, fine, extra fine?
All of this gives me a good idea of how to treat your fiber and what settings to use on the picker and carder to return the nicest product possible back to you.